Tuesday 15 July 2014

Create an accurate CG animal: 10 pro tips


Frog render in ZBrush

Rendering a CG animal in ZBrush takes time, hard work and creativity - Gordon Goane takes you through his strict 10-step work process.

01. Conceptualise 

This usually involves looking for inspiration and reference, while possibly sketching out rough ideas to think about.

02. Model

Frog render in ZBrush
The Clay model offers a rough idea of where the sculpt is going
Once I have a direction in mind, I start by blocking out the subjects of the composition. I try to rough out the main subjects while still thinking about design, before I go too far into the detailing phase.

03. Topology

Topology in ZBrush
Once the model is blocked out adjustments are made
After I get my main shapes blocked out, I like to layout some simple edge flows. This allows me to easily adjust proportions and make larger adjustments. I will then continue fine-tuning the model, occasionally adjusting topology again if necessary. I always make sure to double check the mesh and clean it one last time before unwrapping and rigging.

04. UV/Texture

UV and texture
The model complete, it's time to add the UV and texture map
Once I get a model to a point I am happy with, I will UV map and texture the model. Sometimes I will do simple shading before I decide to UV the model, but I always make sure to unwrap it before I begin to properly paint. Once an object is unwrapped, I will usually jump between Photoshop and ZBrush to get the desired texture maps.

05. Pose/Rig

I choose to use the Transpose Master in ZBrush for posing models, but if the scene requires animation, a rig may need to be setup in another program. After I have posed the models, I may sometimes go back to sculpt and paint anything that needs to be cleaned up. Jumping between steps 02-05 is when I do the majority of the designing in 3D.

06. Animate

If I'm making an animation instead of a still image, I would setup the scene accordingly. Animations can require utilizing a skeletal system, blend shapes, cameras, lighting, etc. After I have things setup, I would then adjust the animations and simulations until they are complete.

07. Render

Render the frog
Focus on lighting and materials at the render stage
Making sure that I have everything ready to go, I then begin to set up the rendering phase. This stage can vary a lot depending on many factors including software, quality and output. Mainly I focus on lighting and materials to produce the layers I will use when compositing.

08. Composite

Composite the layers
Use Photoshop to plan the render layers
Once I have all my images to work with, I will take them into Photoshop, and begin to layer them accordingly. There is usually a specific way I plan on using the rendered layers I make, but I also like to take time and experiment with variations.

09. Finalise

All of the steps in my workflow are pretty much interchangeable. I do tend to move around between steps to keep things from feeling tedious and more fluid. I think that it can help to break up the process mentally and can also allow for unintended gains as well. After everything is accomplished, I consider any possible final touches.

10. Submit

Only after I have spent sufficient time in step 09 double checking and gaining approval for everything, will I complete a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment